Cruz was a prizewinning Samoyed, a show dog who, in his short career, rose quickly to the top ranks. He competed in February’s Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. A week later, he was vomiting blood. Shortly thereafter, he was dead.
According to a story in the New York Times, his handlers suspect foul play. They believe Cruz was poisoned sometime in New York during the show. They suspect rat poison, which takes three to five days to cause physical symptoms in a dog.
“We have been devastated and in shock,” said Lynette Blue, one of Cruz’s owners. “This is one of the most painful experiences of my life.”